How to Relieve Fuel Pressure Dodge Caravan
The fuel system on the Dodge Caravan minivan is pressurized. If you need to remove a fuel system component, you must first alleviate or depressurize the fuel system. If you don’t discharge the fuel pressure, and remove a fuel system component, then high-pressure gasoline will violently erupt from the source where the fuel system component was removed.
Not only will you be bathed in a highly flammable propellant, but everything in your surroundings will get soaked with fuel. If there is a nearby ignition point, such as a bug zapper, you will become a human fireball. This is why you need to know how to relieve the fuel pressure on your Dodge Caravan minivan.
These are the standard fuel system pressure release procedures as outlined in the Dodge Caravan factory service manual.
Standard Fuel System Pressure Release Procedure
- Pull off the fuel pump relay from the minivan’s Power Distribution Center (PDC). On the underside of the PDC cover there is a label that identifies which relay is for the fuel pump.
- Start the Dodge Caravan engine and let it run until it stalls.
- After the engine stops running, keep restarting it until it will no longer run.
- Turn the key in the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the key.
- The fuel system pressure is now relieved and you can safely remove fuel system components.
- Be certain to reinstall the fuel pump relay to the PDC.
- If the check engine light illuminated because the fuel pump relay was removed, use a diagnostic scan tool to erase the trouble codes stored in the PCM.
If the check engine light does not turn off on its own after restarting the minivan, reset the check engine light by removing the negative terminal on the battery for 60 seconds. Do not perform this procedures in the presence of spilled gasoline.
Speaking of which, have a fire extinguisher handy while performing repairs to the fuel system. Furthermore, an accumulation of fuel vapors can ignite and cause an explosion. Perform repair work outside or in a well-ventilated area.
Parts of the fuel system have quick-connect fittings. This video shows you how to properly disconnect a fuel quick-connect fitting.
Any time you reassemble the fuel system, be certain there are no fuel leaks. Make sure the fuel quick-connect fittings are completely and properly installed. If one were to fall off while driving, the minivan could catch on fire and burn to the ground.
Model & Year ApplicationFuel pressure release procedures on this page apply to the following Dodge Caravan, Grand Caravan year and models.
|2001||Caravan, Grand||All||2.4L, 3.3L, 3.8L|
|2002||Caravan, Grand||All||2.4L, 3.3L, 3.8L|
|2003||Caravan, Grand||All||2.4L, 3.3L, 3.8L|
|2004||Caravan, Grand||All||2.4L, 3.3L, 3.8L|
|2005||Caravan, Grand||All||2.4L, 3.3L, 3.8L|
|2006||Caravan, Grand||All||2.4L, 3.3L, 3.8L|
|2007||Caravan, Grand||All||2.4L, 3.3L, 3.8L|